The goals of the Arctic ROOS are as follows:
- Integrate European oceanographic and sea ice monitoring activities in the Arctic;
- Foster development of automatic real-time observations;
- Promote and facilitate dissemination of data via the FAIR principles;
- Enhance the development of open source community oceanographic, wave and sea-ice models;
- Develop European capacity for the ocean and sea-ice monitoring.
The scope of co-operation activities extends to areas of operational oceanography such as data and product management, research, product development, service provision as well as education and training.